Monday, January 31, 2011


This evening I saw a large decal of the Virgen de Guadalupe covering the back window of an SUV that was driving next to us. It brought a very strong sense of nostalgia, which for me, is a rush of very saddening and very happy emotions all at once. It reminded me of my childhood and growing up on the west side. It reminded me of Burbank High school and winter nights and loud car stereos booming through la calle at night. To me, this decal represented a sense of pride in a heritage. In my heritage. It not only made me proud of the owner of this vehicle and their family but it also made me happy for my own family. To have the Virgen displayed on your car for the world to see makes me happy. I'll be always be reminded of my past when I see this Catholic symbol displayed anywhere, but especially on some one's car. Viva la raza.

Madam @ Blogspot.

No comments:

Post a Comment